Microsoft must have been so disappointed when all the web and blog headlines were NOT about their new search engine strangely named Bing. No, what caught every web enthusiasts eye was the launch of Google Wave.
Google Wave is Google’s attempt to rid the World of our archaic emailing system. They began their presentation with the notion of how old email has become in its 40 years of existence. It’s something that was designed and developed in a time when instant messaging, cloud computing, Facebook, Bebo and other social networking sites didn’t exist. They believe that now is the time to make the change to a new more advanced system that will incorporate all the “real-time” functionality that most of us live and breathe today.
Although I have to admit some of the functionality is mind-blowing and in places hugely innovative - albeit that the system is developed with the yet to be fully HTML 5 standard – I’m yet to be convinced that it will actually replace people’s use of email.I just can’t see the normal joe soap trying to get to grips with this system when they hardly understand how to cc a number of people in a simple email.
Google plan to release a lot of this innovative code as part of their Google Web ToolKit which is an absolute dream for any web developer. They will also provide a fully open API which will allow developers to use the power of the system for their own applications, whether it be web, mobile or desktop!
One side of me is so excited about the release of Google Wave. That is the programmer side of me, the one that lives and breathes web innovation – we haven’t had anything like this in years! The other side – I’m kind of like, “so what?”. I personally see it as being the final string in Google’s stealth approach to building the World’s largest social network.
What do you think? Have a look at the launch here:
Related articles by Zemanta
- A Look At Google Wave (jeffisageek.net)
- Early Google Wave Reviews (q-ontech.blogspot.com)
- Google Wave: Reinventing Online Communications? (rotorblog.com)
- Sergey Brin: Google Wave Will Set A New Benchmark For Interactivity (techcrunch.com)
- Live With The Google Wave Creators (techcrunch.com)
- Google Wave Drips With Ambition. A New Communication Platform For A New Web. (techcrunch.com)
- Imagine That Wave Does Not Come From Google… (profy.com)
- Why We Are Cautious About Google’s Wave (gigaom.com)
- Google Climbs to New Heights of Arrogance With Wave (gigaom.com)
- Catching the Google Wave (rev2.org)
- Google Wave: Tsunami Or Just A Ripple In The Real Time Ocean? (joedawsons.com)
- Google Wave of the Future Revolutionizing the Web (marketingpilgrim.com)