There are many ways to “skin a cat” as they say. But if you’re looking to do something a little less barbaric such as inserting a Google Map into a Word document, it may not be that straight forward.
If you’re lucky enough to be using the latest version of Word from Microsoft’s Office 2013 suite – things can’t get any easier than using the great Maps for Office app that we recently published to the Office Store. The Maps for Office app allows you to search for a location, add a pin, choose your preferred size and insert the map directly into your document. You can’t really get much easier than that now can you? If you’re interested in finding out more about this app, visit the Office Store and download it today.
If you’re not lucky enough to own a copy of Word 2013, you’re not really out of luck since there are a number of other ways to insert a Google Map into your Word document.
I’ve outlined what I feel is the easiest way to achieve this (without using our app of course!).
First, create your map!
- Go to http://maps.google.com and search for the location you wish to use for your map in the search box at the top of the page.
- When you’ve found your desired location, it’s time to position it and choose your desired zoom level.
- You can click the map and drag it to centre the location on screen.
- Click the “+” and “-” buttons on the maps slider to zoom in and out on the map as needed to get the map exactly as you’d like it to appear.
- Once you’re happy with how the map looks, you’re ready to insert it into your Word document.~
Insert Google Map into your document…
- Open the Snipping Tool program in Windows. Do this by clicking the Windows key on your keyboard and typing “Snipping Tool”.
- When the Snipping Tool window opens, select “New” and your mouse cursor will change into a cross hair.
- Select the map by clicking, holding and dragging the mouse cursor across the area of the map you’d like to copy
- Open your Microsoft Word document, select the location where you would like to place the map into your document and press “Ctrl-V” to paste the map into your document.
- And that’s it!