Hot on the heels of my article yesterday – Mobile Website Design – Is it time to offer a mobile version of your website?, StatCounter Global Stats have released a press release with some interesting news.
As expected, Google’s Android platform is seeing a significant growth in it’s usage, with an increase of over 290% on last year. Android is now accounting for 23.8% of the Mobile Web usage market share.
Interestingly, in the US Apple’s iPhone has fallen from a high of 51.9% last year to just 33% this year. This means that Blackberry’s 34.3% share in the US makes them market leaders in terms of mobile Internet usage.
So I guess it’s safe to say that targeting just iPhones in terms of your mobile website, is not a good idea!
You can read the full StatCounter report here : http://gs.statcounter.com/press/blackberry-overtakes-apple-in-mobile-wars
- Web wars: Blackberry overtakes iPhone (tech.fortune.cnn.com)
- Mobile OS usage splits the world (chart) (royal.pingdom.com)
- Bango Inc: Web Browsing from Android Phones Grows 400% at the Expense of Apple (eon.businesswire.com)
- Myspace launches new mobile website (newstatesman.com)
- Mobile Website Design – Is it time to offer a mobile version of your website? (tomdoyletalk.com)
- BlackBerry web usage growing at Android’s pace (electronista.com)
- Android Overtakes BlackBerry (Again) as Lead U.S. Smartphone Platform: Nielsen (nytimes.com)
- Android overtakes BlackBerry (again) as lead U.S. smartphone platform: Nielsen (venturebeat.com)
- Android to Overtake Symbian Next Year (pcworld.com)